Thanks for your interest in contributing content to the Sturgis Rider News Blog. We love partnering with writers who can bring exciting, entertaining and informative content to motorcycle and music enthusiasts. Please take some time to read through the information outlined below to find out more about getting your content published.
Why should I contribute content? What’s in it for me?
Here are just a few ways you’ll benefit:
- Reach a rapidly growing readership with tens of thousands of active subscribers
- Receive promotion to nearly 200,000+ social media followers
- Earn valuable backlinks that improve your website’s PageRank
- Build your reputation and earn credibility
- Connect with influential leaders in the motorcycle and music industries
Meet some of the guest authors who have already received these benefits:
What topics is the Sturgis Rider News Blog looking for?
We’re looking for “Juicy Content to Excite, Entertain and Brain Slap the Motorcycle and Music Enthusiast.”
Articles should be able to fit into at least one of the following categories. Click the links to see examples of articles in each.
What factors will help determine whether my content is published?
Your article must meet at least one of the following criteria:
- Be helpful to the reader in some manner
- Answer a valuable question the reader might have
- Be generally entertaining
- Be highly visual with a strong multimedia experience component
Your article shouldn’t be an advertisement. This is not an advertising platform, so please refrain from pitches. The organic inclusion of you as author will naturally lead people to your site or product for further expertise or more entertaining content. The idea is for you to provide a value that in turn spurs a need to hear more from you.
Here are some other requirements and guidelines you’ll need to be aware of:
General Voice Guidelines
- Speak directly to reader
"If you just can’t wait for your own favorite group ride, or you’ve got a cause you’d like to support, you can always organize your own. And the first step is learning how to keep your riders safe.”
- Put information in terms of the readers’ experience
“You’ll probably never see third gear on this tight two-lane road. That’s just fine because your head will likely be on a swivel trying to take in the uniqueness of the rocky landscape.”
- Use your own voice. You aren’t speaking on behalf of the Sturgis Buffalo Chip® or Sturgis Rider News.
“There’s no better way to experience the magic of the Black Hills than from the back of a motorcycle. And while it’s hard to tear away from the carousel of entertainment at the Buffalo Chip, the urge to ramble around the Black Hills is as irresistible as the song of the Sirens.”
- Provide a minimum of one relevant image per paragraph in the body of the copy.
- Images should be 946x631px (72dpi) in size.
- One 200x200px (72dpi) for the article e-blast.
- One 1920x1001px (72 dpi) for the blog hero image and Sturgis Rider News homepage.
- PNG and JPG are the only accepted file formats.
- Save your images with a relevant descriptive filename (e.g. how-to-install-squeeze-horn-1.jpg).
Video/Infographic/Widget Requirements (Optional)
- Provide a minimum of one relevant video (Must be relevant content. No promo sizzles).
- Include embed code.
How do I submit a post to Sturgis Rider News?
Submit your proposed topic and a brief outline to email@example.com. If your topic is accepted, you’ll want to check out our blog article template.
What kind of editorial process should I expect?
- Every article goes past a minimum of three sets of eyes, edits and considerations before going to publication.
- The process looks like this:
- A content topic is solidified
- A tentative publication date is set for a topic
- The article is submitted no fewer than 10 days prior to the publication date
- Article passes through review process
- Article is returned to author with comments or modification requests
- If final article is approved, it is submitted to webmaster three working days prior to publication.
- The tentative publication date may be changed or the article may be pulled completely at any time, for any reason.
- Sturgis Rider News staff reserves the right to make edits
- If edits occur, they will be presented to author for review and approval prior to publication.
How will Sturgis Rider News promote my post?
- Send to tens of thousands of Sturgis Rider Newletter subscribers
- Tweet post from @TheChip and @mention the author
- Share on the Sturgis Buffalo Chip Facebook page with author tagged
- Respond to comments on all platforms shared
What kind of promotion is expected from me?
- Tweet the post with mention of @TheChip
- Share on Facebook and tag @SturgisBuffaloChip in the post
- Respond to comments daily on the blog and social for the first 3 days after publication
Got questions you don’t see answers to? Email us at mary.panerio [at] buffalochip.com.